The cello was named after the Russion virtuoso Karl Yul’yevich Davidov who owned the cello in about 1885. The instrument was later played by Jacqueline du Pre. Du Pre’s teacher, William Pleath was with her when she tried out the cello, and recommended it to her as “one of the really great instruments of the world”. Du Pre’s recordings from 1965 to 1968 were all made on the “Davidov”.
Heritage 'Davidov' CI014
Hand applied spirit varnish
Two piece back in figured maple with matching ribs & scroll
Rosewood Paris Eye
Carbon fibre shaft with brass key
Length of Back764 mm
Direct Links to Full Instrument Range
The Sound Post Limited, Jocelyn House, 2d Newopaul Way, Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12 8RY, UK. Registered in England No. 03100243.
T: +44 0 1985 851122
F: +44 0 1985 851188